ASCII format - Word 97
format - Word 6.0 format - Rich Text
format - WordPerfect 5.0 format
Career Summary - Education
- Experience - References
- Twenty-one years of professional software development experience ranging from Mainframes
to VAXes to PCs, fifteen years
of which being in the Industrial Automation environment.
- Operating Systems: Windows NT, Windows 95 Windows 3.x, WFW 3.11, OS/2, VAX/VMS (OpenVMS), and MVS/XA.
- Languages: Visual C++, C, Pascal,
FORTRAN, SAS, Visual
BASIC, and various assembly languages.
- Application Frameworks: Microsoft
Foundation Classes (MFC).
Senior Systems Engineer - Lineo, Inc.
-- Houston, TX
and maintain RTXCgen, a
Windows-based tool which generates source code for RTXC Quadros, an
operating system for embedded real-time applications.
Also developed command-line tool to enable RTXCgen
to generate code in a batch (makefile) environment.
and maintain Kernel Awareness
plug-in modules for RTXC Quadros to work with several Metrowerks CodeWarrior
RTXCgen to operate in both Solaris
and Linux environments.
1996-1999: Senior Systems Developer - Rockwell Software Inc. - West Allis
- Participate in the development of NT/RT (code name Tahiti), the next
generation object-oriented Distributed Control System (DCS). Responsibilities include:
- Design and implementation of the system-wide robust error handling and reporting
- Design and implementation of key enabling technologies such as the Shared Memory Queue
- Detailed design of the Distributed Real-Time Applications Kernel (DRAK), which provides
robust group membership protocols, robust application conferencing, and reliable multicast
protocols for Tahiti applications.
- Develop the RSSecurity server (code name Sentinel), which runs as an NT
Service, maintains a centralized database of access rules on a Windows NT server, supports remote
configuration, and allows various Rockwell
Software applications (running on Windows
NT and Windows 95 client
machines) to perform runtime security authorization checks against that database.
Leverages OLE technologies such
as OLE Automation and DCOM.
- Develop OLE Automation
interfaces in Visual C++ for use by Visual Basic programmers, such as DcomProxy,
which allows client apps to access DCOM
through a CreateObject()-like method, and NetInfo, which provides methods for
performing such network functions as enumerating domains and nodes.
- Participate in Microsoft early experience
programs and betas, including Visual Basic for
Applications (VBA), DCOM/NetOLE,
DCOM for Windows 95, Windows NT 4.0, and Internet Explorer 4.0.
1991-96: Senior Systems Engineer - Standard
Automation & Control, Inc. - League City
- Developed data collection software (DDE Servers) for several
DCS and other systems, under Microsoft Windows 3.x,
Windows NT, and VAX/VMS (OpenVMS), for Wonderware InTouch HMI or any
DDE-aware client. Among the supported systems are:
- Developed enhanced Data
Historian for Wonderware InTouch supporting ODBC-compliant relational databases.
- Participated in the design and implementation of RAMbase/2, a PC-based Soft
Control System under OS/2
2.x . Responsible for the development of a memory-resident realtime database system that
was replicated between and a primary and standby machine, enabling automatic, bumpless
- Developed Basic Report Generation
Tool (BRGT), which replaces embedded tag strings in any file (such as text files,
Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, etc.) with realtime data captured from the InTouch HMI, allowing
the user to generate reports and documents containing timely process data using their tool
- Developed FORTRAN-language bindings to the NetDDE for VMS SDK.
- Experience with various NetDDE platforms, including Windows for Workgroups,
Windows 3.x, Windows NT, and VAX/VMS (OpenVMS).
- Developed custom process data interface between Wonderware
InTouch and a
remote VAX site over DECnet/Pathworks using sockets interface/API
for deployment in the world's largest tank farm in Ju'aymah, Saudi Arabia.
1990-91: Senior Systems Programmer - M. W.
Kellogg Co. - Houston, Texas
- Developed interface between advanced process control application on VAX/VMS and Taylor/ABB Mod 300 over Ethernet using DECnet/Pathworks protocols.
- Responsible for system management of several VAX and MicroVAX systems being staged for customer
1988-90: Software Consultant/Contractor - Houston, Texas
1987-88: Senior Development Engineer - TXE Automation - La Porte (Houston), Texas
- Participated in the design and development of Automatic Control Charting (ACC)
system for Frito-Lay, based on TXE's OmniMAP
control system for VAX/VMS. This system made
early use of Local Area
VAXcluster (LAVC) technology. Responsible for on-time development of the configuration
- Developed Equation Processor (EPR), an algorithmic script language (compiler and
p-code interpreter) for user-defined calculation blocks within OmniMAP.
- Developed NetMbx network mailbox system, allowing message-passing tasks to
communicate using global network names.
- Supported system startup and field acceptance testing, and wrote several programs for
migrating ACC data to VAX/Rdb relational databases for upload to corporate mainframes over
1981-87: Systems Analyst - Gulf States
Utilities Co. (now Entergy) - Beaumont, Texas
- Participated in the development of the Energy Control System (ECS), a
large-scale, distributed SCADA and advanced process control (APC) system, running under VAX/VMS and ESCA's
Habitat realtime database system
and operating environment.
- Developed the System Load Forecasting application and the Historical Logger
application. Also performed VAX/VMS system
management, and DECnet network management.
- Developed engineering-oriented computer applications for IBM
303x and 308x mainframes under MVS/XA, TSO, IMS, and CICS. These applications included an
IMS database for tracking the company's 500,000+ engineering drawings, and a program that
performed Residential Energy Audits based on customer billing history.
1977-80: Lamar University - Beaumont, Texas
1983-86: Lamar University - Beaumont, Texas
[Return to Top] [Return to Home
Copyright © 1997, Darrell Pittman, All Rights Reserved